Reading is one of the most important skills a person learns. It is a fundamental source for learning, entertainment, and stimulating our own thoughts. Reading has never been as important or as available as it is today. Technology has increased the many ways we can access books today and allows us to get so many books, more than ever before in history by going to books online.
It does not matter if you are into the feel of the book itself, taking in the pages, or you are into downloads or audio-books, we have it all here in the largest library of books online – and always at the Best Price.
Whether you are looking for Used, New, or into finding a new indulgence, we have just the place for you to find anything you are yearning for with books online.
We have it all for you in education, or entertainment – and anything in-between. For Work, Business, Do It Yourself (DIY), home and garden… well its all here. See the categories below and these are just the beginnings of the choices available (and believe me – it doesn’t stop here):
- Arts & Photography
- Biographies & Memoirs
- Business & Money
- Children’s Books
- Christian Books & Bibles
- Comics & Graphic Novels
- Computers & Technology
- Cookbooks, Food & Wine
- Crafts, Hobbies & Home
- Education & Teaching
- Engineering & Transportation
- Health, Fitness & Dieting
- Humor & Entertainment
- Literature & Fiction
- Medical Books
- Mystery, Thriller & Suspense
- Parenting & Relationships
- Politics & Social Sciences
- Religion & Spirituality
- Science & Math
- Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Sports & Outdoors
- Teen & Young Adult
- Test Preparation
From the time our kids are able to hear us read (basically from within the womb) they should be hearing us. Then even more so when they are in this World. The gifts of READING are proven to be fundamentally beneficial in all areas of life.
People learn so much from being Read To as children, Reading, and then in one’s own abilities to write and share, and communicate.
I personally love to read ever since I was in elementary school, and still read hours and hours each week. It is a constant, and a constant part of my success in all areas of my life. I would rather read a good book than see most TV programs. I found some great information on why Reading is Important, and I’ll include that here:
Why Is Reading Important?
“From time to time people have wondered why reading is important. There seems so many other things to do with one’s time. Reading is important for a variety of reasons. We will look at some of those fundamental reasons below, but it is important to realize that struggling with vital reading skills in not a sign of low intelligence. For example, John Corcoran, who wrote The Teacher Who Couldn’t Read, is a very intelligent man. He graduated from High School and College, became a popular High School teacher and later a successful business man all without being able to read. Many highly intelligent people have struggled with reading although, when properly taught, most people can learn to read easily and quickly.”
“Now, if a man like John Corcoran can succeed without reading, why is reading important? A person should really read Mr. Corcoran’s story to get the feeling of shame, loneliness and fear that he experienced before he learned to read. He was able to succeed in spite of this major handicap because he was a man of intelligence, ability and determination. But, make no mistake, it was a handicap that made life harder and less enjoyable.” I personally can relate to this situation because I have been a poor speller all of my life and if it were not for spellchecker I do not know what I would do. I think about it a lot and that is embarrassing and often difficult.
Why Is Reading Important?
1. Reading is fundamental to function in today’s society. There are many adults who cannot read well enough to understand the instructions on a medicine bottle. That is a scary thought – especially for their children. Filling out job applications, surveys or forms for taxes becomes impossible without help. Reading road or warning signs is difficult. Even following a map becomes a chore. But at least with a map you can see the lines that make up the roads. Day-to-day activities that many people take for granted become a source of embarrassment, anger at themselves, fear and frustration.
2. Reading is a vital skill in finding a good job. Many well-paying jobs require reading as a part of job performance. One could not expect to become an engineer without good reading skills. Almost every job has reports and memos which must be read and responded to. Poor reading skills increases the amount of time it takes to absorb and react in the workplace. Obviously you can see that one is limited in what they can accomplish without good reading and comprehension skills.
3. Reading is important because it develops the mind. Reading exercises the muscles of the mind. Understanding the written word is one way the mind grows in its ability. Teaching young children to read helps them develop their language skills. It also helps them learn to listen. Everybody wants to talk, but few can really listen. Lack of listening skills can result in major misunderstandings which can lead to job loss, marriage breakup, and other disasters – small and great. Reading helps children [and adults] focus on and absorb what someone else is communicating.
Words help you discover new things
4. Why is reading important? We discover new things threw books. Our system of education is based on the ability to read. Books, magazines and even the Internet are great learning tools which require the ability to read and understand what is read. A person who knows how to read can educate themselves in any area of life they are interested in. Homeschooling depend on the ability to read in order to compete with people who receive a “normal” education. We live in an age where we overflow with information, but reading is the main way to take advantage of it.
Reading develops imagination
5. Reading develops the imagination. TV and computer games have their place, but they are more like amusement. Amusement comes from two words “a” [non] and “muse” [think]. Amusement is non-thinking activities. With reading, a person can go anywhere in the world…or even out of it! They can be a king, or an adventurer, or a princess, or… The possibilities are endless. Non-readers can not expect to experience these joys to the same extent.
6. It has long been know that reading develops the creative side of people. When reading to children, stop every once in awhile and ask them what they think is going to happen next. Get them thinking about the story. When it is finished, ask if they could think of a better ending or anything that would have improved it. If they really liked the story, encourage them to illustrate it with their own drawings or to make up a different story with the same characters. Get the creative juices flowing! Since I read a lot as a child I started writing two different books when I was in middle and high school. I worked on them and thought about them but never finished them. I eventually threw them away but I was intrigue by them and by the things I read in all books.
Why is Reading Important Part II?
7. Reading is fundamental in developing a good self image. Non-readers or poor readers often have low opinions of themselves and their abilities. This may be caused by the embarrassment. Many times they feel as if the world is against them. They feel isolated [everybody else can read – they may think even if it isn’t true] and behavior problems can surface. These poor readers are more apt to be violent if they are angry because of their poor reading ability. They can perform poorly in other subjects because they cannot read and understand the material and so tend to “give up.” They may be picked on in school and they may be prone to drop out of school.
Words create good spelling
8. Why is reading important? Let’s keep going… Good reading skills, especially in a phonics reading program, improve spelling. As students learn to sound out letters and words, spelling comes easier. Also, reading helps to expand the vocabulary. Reading new words puts them in their mind for later use. Seeing how words are used, in different contexts, can give a better understanding of the word usage and definitions, than the cold facts of a dictionary.
9. There is an old saying, “The pen is mightier than the sword.” Ideas written down have changed the destiny of men and nations for better or worse. I know that I retain the material I write down faster and more accurately than material just spoken to me. The flow of ideas cannot be stopped. We need to read and research to build on the good ideas and expose the bad ideas before they bring destruction. Only by reading can we be armed in this never-ending, life-and-death struggle.
Words are Power
10. The power of written ideas communicated through reading is the foundation for why some governments oppose free and honest communication. Illiterate people are easier to control and manipulate. They cannot do their own research and thinking. They must rely on what they are told and how their emotions are swayed. Think about it, how are they ever going to find out the truth? There is a good possibility that this is one of the main reasons phonics was removed from the schools about 100 years ago.
11. Finally, why is reading important? Reading is important because words – spoken and written – are the building blocks of life. You are, right now, the result of words that you have heard or read AND believed about yourself. What you become in the future will depend on the words you believe about yourself now. People, families, relationships, and even nations are built from words. Think about it.
Reasons for Wanting To Read
According to Jonathan Kozol in “Illiterate America,” quoted in “The Teacher Who Couldn’t Read,’” the three main reasons people give for wanting to read are:
“I think everyone can conclude that reading is a vital skill! Reading Strategies are also a part of learning to read.”
By Glenn Davis,
Thank you Glenn – and I totally agree.
If you like a topic, or a Movie Series, you should dive into the books. Books allow for so much more of the Story, the plots, the characters. If you love it on the big screen, you’ll more than love the extended story and get more into it when you read. Often there is not enough time in a move to fully develop the characters. Think books online.
Do you travel, drive or fly a lot – you should Read, but at times AUDIO BOOKS are a great addition to your personal growth. Being read too is a great way to soak in a story, to learn history, to gain knowledge. And its all available through our site (that we continually update).